The famous hockey stick by Dr. Michael Mann. (paper in 1999)
I am amazed at how political beliefs can lead people to say and do really ignorant things. I had a comment this week from someone who complained that it was nearly impossible to get information about climate change from a non political source, and he has a real point. It’s one of the reasons that I started writing this blog and hopefully I have made it a little easier to sort out the politics from what is real.
I steer away from commenting much on the day-to-day assault on science from political and certain religious groups, but I do make an exception when something is so egregious that it really should get some attention. The North Carolina Legislature’s inane attempt to outlaw the science of sea level rise is one recent exception.
This post is another.
This week the National Review published an insulting and (very likely) libelous article about climate change expert Dr. Micheal Mann of Penn State University I suspect that a formal apology and a retraction are on the way. if not, Michael Mann will have a very good case against them. The writer of that article deserves to defend his words in court and I suspect he will.
Dr. Mann has been subjected to an overwhelming amount of hate mail and death threats, (most of which are very badly spelled) because he published a paper several years ago, with the image above in it. You may have heard about this image, it’s called the “Hockey Stick”, and let me say right here, that no matter what you may read on the internet, this image has stood the test of dozens of reviews and investigations. Every scientific peer group that has looked at it says it’s good science and if anyone tells you differently, they are giving you political propaganda.
To put it in plain words- the graph is correct, get over it.
However, some people cannot seem to get over it, and for those whose politics conflict with scientific reality, (whether it be evolution, climate change, or the age of the Earth) this image was too powerful to be ignored. Numerous attempts have been made to somehow or someway discredit Dr. Mann (or his graph). Fortunately, they’ve all failed and Dr. Mann’s famous graph stands as good science. Not only that, but he has been totally cleared of every accusation against him.
Mann’s original 1999 research has been verified by many others now.
Dr. Mann has an excellent book out about his modern-day walk through the trials of Galileo, and I highly recommend it. Oh, and Dr. Mann posted a note on his Facebook page that he has indeed hired a very good attorney and plans to sue the National Review for what they wrote. After reading the insulting article in the Nat. Review, I suspect he will win in a big way. (Update July 24- the letter written by Dr. Mann’s attorney demanding an apology and retraction is available here.)
Standing Up For Science
This kind of thing has happened so frequently among those who do research in climate physics, that a legal defense fund has been established. The very fact that scientists are in need of such a thing is evidence in itself of the assault on basic science underway in America. If you’re the type of person who believes in Science you might think about a donation. Things are so bad that the National Center for Science Education recently added climate change to its mission to defend teachers and the teaching of real science in classrooms.
Some advice to students: If you are in a high school or college science classroom, and the instructor says anything that calls into doubt the scientific realities of the age of the Earth (4,500 million years), natural selection, or that the planet is getting warmer (and greenhouse gases are involved), then you are NOT being taught science. There is NO scientific evidence that call any of these into the slightest doubt.
If your instructor says otherwise, I’d look for a new teacher.
World Climate Widget
- Mending Fences
- Climate: June was wet and warm across U.S.
- Attacks On Carbon Dioxide Are Political Air Pollution
- CO2 Tax Australia – Carbon Tax Legislation Voted Out. Snow Falls. Sceptics Celebrate
- Global Warming
- HEART-SHAPED CLOUD PHENOMENON
- The Law of Unintended Carbon Tax Consequences
- Commercial airlines avoiding eastern Ukraine airspace as Malaysian 17 probably shot down
- Environment: Deep permafrost melt, continued mountain glacier loss highlighted in NOAA 2013 climate check-up
- NASA GISS runs ‘hot’ and ‘cold’ as an outlier again
- Consensus? Orthodox Climate Science Performs A Major Flip-Flop July 21, 2016 C3H
- Empirical Evidence: Climate Change Driven By Non-CO2 Factors, Experts Find July 20, 2016 C3H
- ClimateFact Verified: Tropical Pacific Islands Are Not Being Drowned By Rising Seas July 16, 2016 C3H
- Ohio State Violence "Experts": 'How does climate affect violence?' Their "New" Theory Explains All July 8, 2016 C3H
- With Global Warming Solved, One's Gotta Go Big - God Bless Democrats! June 8, 2016 C3H
- Graphs of the Day: Arctic Hot. Sea Ice Taking a Big Dive February 16, 2016 uknowiss
- My Country, His Team September 3, 2015 uknowiss
- On distortion, fabrication and author smackdowns August 26, 2015 uknowiss
- Global Warming is a hoax! April 2, 2015 uknowiss
- Sustainable Ecosystems and Community News: Oceans’ heat-buffering ability may be weakening March 31, 2015 uknowiss
- Claim: Sharknado Might Damage Climate Credibility July 30, 2016 Eric Worrall
- Claim: Underground Carbon Reservoirs are Stable July 29, 2016 Eric Worrall
- A review of temperature reconstructions July 29, 2016 Guest Blogger
- Friday Funny: “cottoning up” to skeptics with high pressure commentary July 29, 2016 Anthony Watts
- US Climate Envoy to Fly to Morocco for Pre COP22 Conference July 29, 2016 Eric Worrall
- The Hinkley Point C Pantomime July 29, 2016 Euan Mearns
- How long does it take to build a nuclear power plant? July 27, 2016 Euan Mearns
- The Eigg renewables project revisited July 24, 2016 Roger Andrews
- Blowout Week 134 July 23, 2016 Roger Andrews
- Global Nuclear Power Snapshot July 21, 2016 Euan Mearns